Monday, November 1, 2010

November Sensory Bin = A Gift for the Birds

Today I emptied our Halloween Sensory Bin. I had used some cracked corn in it for the past 2 months and it was time for something new.  I didn't just want to throw away the corn so we made so we did a bird feeder craft. We took a pine cone that we found on a walk a couple of weeks ago. I helped Alex smear some peanut butter on it then we rolled it in the corn. Instant bird feeder! Unfortunately I didn't have any more pine cones easily accessible so I cut some large squares out of a gallon milk jug and we poured some more of the corn in it. I'm not sure what birds like cracked corn but I'm sure someone will come eat it.




So here is November's sensory bin. I considered doing another fall themed one, but I couldn't come up with a unique idea. We are tired of pumpkins, gourds colored leaves, etc. So I decided to make him a construction sensory bin. I purchased 2 bags of polished rocks from the dollar store and a construction set (a handful or trucks, signs, and a little building) for $3 at a discount store. I added a paper towel roll tunnel and a small plastic container. The construction set came with a city/road work scene so I put that against on of the sides. When Alex got up from his nap he was delighted to find a new box and immediately started to fill up the dump truck and excavator. He loves it!  :)



3 comments:

  1. Fun! A squirrel hasn't gotten to ours yet! :) I haven't seen any birds yet either, but it's a pretty blustery, cold day here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! Thanks for joining in with our Carnival of Junk Play. We love the contruction site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the bird feeder is great! Especially for this time of year.


    I would LOVE for you to join us at Kids Get Crafty (every Wednesday on Red Ted Art) - current link up http://www.redtedart.com/2010/12/08/kids-get-crafty-nikolaus-sterne-or-santa-stars/

    Hope to see you there!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete