Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Garden Sensory Bin

Time for a new sensory box. Since spring is in the air, I decided I would make Alex a garden box.

The "dirt" in the box is some old coffee and espresso beans that my Mom was going to throw away.
I purchased the spade, rake, magnifying glass and butterflies at the Dollar Tree for $3. We already had the other insects, play veggies, terra cotta plant pot and flowers (really textured paint brushes).

I added a piece of styrofoam under the coffee grounds so that the flowers and butterfly would stand up. Plus Alex can move and "plant" them. 

I printed a template for the seed packet from here. I took some of the espresso beans and painted them to make "seeds."
This box will be a jumping off point for some seed, plant, vegetable/food, and insect lessons. Also some sorting games. Plus it is just fun to dig in and explore.

11 comments:

  1. So, so cute! I'm going to add this to my Spring Activities blog list! Thanks for sharing on It's Playtime!

    Rachele @Messy Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks very fun, thanks for linking up.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love sensory bins and are do for something new. I will have to keep this one in mind. I've been wanting to do a new one "bird" themed with birdseed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made on of these but it looks like fun- I am also going to send it to my sister in law her son has sensory isues and I think this would be a great project for him. I would love it if you shared this at Workshop Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun bin - I want to play with it! :)

    Actually your blog is full of so many wonderful ideas I would love it if you could please take a moment to link up on my new Kids Craft & Educational type linky party - The Sunday Showcase which just started today! It will be a weekly linky party!

    Here is the direct link to link-up: http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/2011/05/sunday-showcase-51511.html

    The more wonderful ideas we share - the more inspiration we all have! :) I hope you can come link-up and "showcase" your amazing work!

    Bernadette - Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
    http://moto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sensory bins- so many opportunities to learn and grow! Love the spring time theme! Thanks for linking up with us at The Sunday Showcase ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing this @ Workshop Wednesday! Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sensory bin is featured on this week's Sunday Showcase - stop by to grab your button & be sure to link up some more great ideas!

    Bernadette
    http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! Sensory bins are one of my favorite things - this one is very creative!

    ReplyDelete