Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I've Got My Eye on You

 
This week we are focusing on the letter "E". So with Halloween coming up I thought it would be fun to do a eye theme. We started out by talking about everyone's eye color. I took some close up photos of Alex's gorgeous eyes so he could look at them closely.




 I couldn't find any eye themed printables so I created my own. I made a tracing page get the eye to the glasses and practicing writing E's, I drew a giant eye that Alex wanted to color with Do A Dots, and we practiced counting googly eyes. 




We made some crazy eyed hand and foot  print monsters. I was inspired by Little Learners Lounge's Math Monsters.



But Alex's absolute favorite thing we did was an "Eyeball" sensory bin. I saw this on I Can Teach My Child and I knew we had to try it. To make this I used water beads and googly eyes. I found hydrated ones at the Dollar Tree about a month ago and have been saving them. You can buy them hydrated or dehydrated. Water beads are water absorbent polymers that are non-toxic and biodegradable, they come in a variety of colors and are usually used for floral arrangements. You just want to make sure little ones don't put them in their mouths.


They really are so fun to squish and play with. Alex has been loving them. I'm not sure how long they will last, but they still look good a day later.

For dessert I made Alex some eyeball cookies. Yum!

They are a half of a Golden Oreo, a blue M&M and some red food coloring for the veins. The idea was from Craftberry Bush.

The Eye books we read:



2 comments:

  1. I love this whole E for Eye theme!!! I love the books, activities, everything! Awesome job! Thanks so much for linking this up to Monstrously Creative Saturday! :)

    Mandi at BBM

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun activities! I wanted to let you know that I am featuring the handprint monster craft on www.simplycreativemoms.com

    ReplyDelete